Grants awarded to Help protect Women and Children Immigrants
The Foundation has awarded grants to 3 organizations to help protect and promote the best interests of immigrant children in the United States who have been separated from their families. I am greatly saddened by the horrible treatment families are receiving at our Borders. I can not support these practices and will help defend and protect the human rights and dignity of these families. The following organizations will each receive a $10,000 award.
Women's Refugee Commission:
The Women's Refugee Commission improves the lives and protects the rights of women, children and youth displaced by conflict and crisis. We research their needs, identify solutions and advocate for programs and policies to strengthen their resilience and drive change in humanitarian practice. Since our founding in 1989, we have been a leading expert on the needs of refugee women and children, and the policies that can protect and empower them.
Our vision is a world in which refugee and internally displaced women, children and youth:
- are safe, healthy and self-reliant;
- have their human rights respected and protected; and
- inform and drive their own solutions and development
KIND Kids in Need of Defense:
KIND will achieve our vision by:
- Ensuring that no child appears in immigration court without high quality legal representation;
- Advancing laws, policies, and practices that ensure children’s protection and uphold their right to due process and fundamental fairness; and
- Promoting in countries of origin, transit, and destination durable solutions to child migration that are grounded in the best interests of the child and ensure that no child is forced to involuntarily migrate.
Young Center, Immigrant Children's Rights
The Young Center is a champion for the rights and best interests of unaccompanied immigrant children, making sure that wherever they land, whether here in the U.S. or in their home country, they are safe.
- We Serve: Unaccompanied children who are fleeing violence, trafficking, abuse and extreme poverty. They are all alone.
- We Advocate: For the safety and well-being of each child, while they’re detained and throughout deportation proceedings—every step of the way.
- We Stand: For the creation of an immigration system that serves children.